Training Course • Certification
with Innovation Engineering Black Belt Certification
Powered by the Innovation Engineering Methodology
Where leaders of projects and/or people become genuine experts in System Driven Innovation®
- Business Life Skills
- Systems Thinking
- Employee Engagement
The Innovation Engineering Mastery Course transforms you into a genuine expert at system driven innovation.
System thinking provides a proven method for identifying root cause reasons for innovation frustrations – and step by step methods for evaporating them. The result is greater success as you lead projects and people.
AT THE END OF THIS COURSE
YOU’LL BE AN EXPERT INNOVATOR
& ABLE TO:
Invent Category-Disrupting Ideas
Ideas for anything from new products/services to businesses, brands, offerings and new markets.
Apply Innovative Process Improvement
Have the means and methods to radically accelerate development of novel, disruptive innovations.
Build Winning Business Cases
Create a complete concept, business model and persuasive justification for your innovations
YOU’LL BE AN INNOVATION SYSTEMS EXPERT
& ABLE TO:
Build & Sustain a Culture of Innovation
So your organization or team can repeatably and reliably innovate at every level
Improve Broken Human System(s)
bust beuracracies that are restraining growth and resources in teams, companies or communities
Train & Coach Others
Teach others in the organization smarter ways to be innovative and coach them as they innovate in their role.
Buiding Innovation Capabilities.
Creating a culture.
At the Mastery Course, you’ll learn the 48 skills that make up the Innovation Engineering “Body of Knowledge” – the complete academic peer-reviewed curriculum taught in Innovation Engineering undergraduate and graduate school programs across the world. In the Mastery Course, the instruction has been condensed for corporate education so that anyone can participate.
IN THIS COURSE YOU’LL LEARN:
ADVANCED CREATIVE SKILLS
- How to recognize a Meaningfully Unique Innovation
- How to 6X Your Creativity without Brainstorming
- How to Turbo Charge Your Creativity in an situation
- How to to Leverage Diversity to Create Ideas
- How to use Unrelated Stimulus to generate Dramatically Different ideas
- How to use Patent & Technology Stimulus to generate Ownable ideas
- How to use Insight Stimulus to generate ideas that create Customer Pull (Design Thinking)
- How to use Market Stimulus to generate Differentiated ideas
- How to shift-perspectives of fellow innovators
- How to use Future Stimulus to generate Proactive, Market-shifting ideas
- How to use Wisdom Stimulus to generate Behavior-changing ideas
- How to run “Professional Grade” Ideation CREATE Sessions
ADVANCED STRATEGY & PITCH SKILLS
- How to Create an Innovation Strategy that Motivates Others
- How to Create a Winning “Elevator Pitch” for an Innovation
- Simple Ways to Improve Your Pitch
- How to Quickly Estimate an Innovation’s Value
- How to Optimize an Innovation
- How to Coach others to Improve their Innovation Pitch
- How to communicate complex ideas
- How to add “oomph” to any idea
- How to win in Technology Translation (and get more value out of R&D discoveries)
- Tactics for increasing Meaningfulness of Innovations
- How to communicate innovations “in the real world”
- How to Proactively Sell Innovations
ADVANCED COMMERCIALIZATION SKILLS
- How to really do Fail Fast, Fail Cheap Cycles
- Best Practices for Accelerating Success through experimentation
- Best Practices for increasing learning and speed through Concept Prototyping
- Best Practices for increasing learning and speed through Functional Prototyping
- How to 10X Your Innovation Decision Making Success with Rapid Research
- How to reduce variation when running innovation forecasts
- How do to Cost and Price Estimating on Innovations (even without data)
- Best Practices for Innovation Business Models
- Best Practices for Proprietary Protection of Innovations
- Best Practices for Organizational Design in Innovation
- Best Practices for Pitch Forms & Formats to Get Funding
- How to make Investment-grade decisions on Innovations
ADVANCED INNOVATION SYSTEMS & CULTURE
- How to recognize a system versus process and Map it
- How to apply Variation to avoid “System Fiddling”
- How to address the Psychology of People & Change
- How to improve any New or Existing System
- How to Create Strategic Alignment within a Team or Org
- How to Create Cross-Departmental Alignment within a Team or Org
- How to create a System for Rapid Research and faster data-based decision making on Innovations
- How to interprete and act on Research data
- How to increase Collaboration for Innovation
- How to get the maximum ROI out of Intellectual Property
- How to diffuse an Innovation Mindset Throughout a Population
- How to create your own brand of Innovation Leadership
HOW IT WORKS
ON-DEMAND ONLINE DIGITAL CLASSES
Before attending the in-person course, you complete about 1 day of digital classes on systems for expert level leadership of people and projects for creating, communicating, and commercializing meaningfully unique ideas.
You can watch the short classes on your computer, phone, or tablet. By successfully completing the digital classes in advance, you’ll learn the content and be ready to go into the hands-on, live lab class, where there will be NO boring lectures!
3 IN-PERSON DAYS OF HANDS-ON TRAINING IN OUR MASTERY COURSE
This is an immersive experience. It takes the learning from the digital classes and makes it very real through interactive experiences where you apply your new skills to “ripped from the headlines” business challenges.
Most importantly, one-on-one feedback ensures you really learn how to lead system driven innovation.
7.30a – Breakfast
Module 1 : Systems
- Appreciation for a System
- Knowledge about Variation
- Theory of Knowledge
12.30p – Lunch
Module 2 : Systems to Create I
- Unrelated Stimulus
- Patent Mining
- Insight Mining & Market Mining
- Advanced Create Methods
4.00p – Happy Hour
Module 3 : Advanced Systems to Create
- Future Mining & Wisdom Mining
- Professional Grade CREATE Sessions
7.00p – Dinner
7.30a – Breakfast
Module 4 : Systems to Communicate I
- Concept as a System
- Concept Feedback Systems
- Advanced Benefit & Proof
- Oomph Systems to Commercialize
12.30p – Lunch
Module 2 : Systems to Commercialize I
- PDSA – Rapid Research
- Confront Reality – Cost & Price
- Reducing Risk in Forecasts
- Business Models
4.00p – Happy Hour
Module 3 : Advanced Systems to Communicate
- Tech Translation & Patents
- Proactive Selling
7.00p – Dinner
7.30a – Breakfast
Module 4 : Advanced Systems to Commercialize
- Organizing for Success
- Business Opportunity Recommendations
12.30p – Lunch
Module 2 : Systems Driven Leadership
- Vertical Alignment
- Departments Alignment
- Rapid Research – Operations
- Rapid Research – Analytics
Module 3 : Advanced Systems for Culture
- Patent ROI
- Culture Change
- Personal Leadership
7.00p – Celebration Experience
12 MONTHS OF COACHING TO INNOVATION BLACK BELT CERTIFICATION
The path to certification involves three elements:
- a grade of 100% on all lab class assignments (no stress – you can resubmit unlimited times our goal is to get you to mastery not to fail you),
- application of the learning to your real work through certification assignments graded by your instructor, and
- the personal written recommendation of your Innovation Engineering Black Belt certification coach.
Real-World Challenges tackled by previous Innovation Engineering Black Belts through their certification:
- Improving an existing Stage-and-Gate Development System to include a more robust front-end
- Inventing and Delivering a patented new “leap” innovation
- Creating a new Growth Category for the Organization (that accounts for 21% of our domestic revenue just 6 months after launch)
- Creating an “Internal Innovation Coaching Agency” inside a large non-profit
- Reinventing strategic planning to increase alignment, buy-in and actionabilty
- Creating a customer panel to reduce research time from weeks to hour
- Organizational Design restructuring to allow for internal innovation intern rotations and cross-functional training
- Developing a robust 3-year innovation pipeline
- Streamlining the customer request system to reduce response time and allow for more proactive business development
The Eureka! Ranch team that teaches the course has been named among America’s top innovators by CNN, CBC, Inc Magazine and others. The average American home uses over 18 products or services that the Eureka! Ranch has helped invent or reinvent
Why THIS COURSE IS different
Unlike other business courses that are based on a few personal experiences or third-person research – this course is grounded in front-lines innovation work and hard data from the world’s largest database (25,000+) on what drives success and failure. The data is so reliable that the curriculum, called Innovation Engineering, is recognized as a new field of academic study with undergraduate and graduate degrees offered at colleges and universities.
World leaders in business and innovation who’ve used these methods include: Walt Disney, Nike, Pepsi-Cola, American Express, Procter & Gamble, US Department of Commerce and thousands of others.
This course is brought to you by the Innovation Engineering Institute – a partnership between the Eureka! Ranch and the University of Maine.
It’s a true mastery program –
5 college worth courses of content
plus 12 months of application to your work
with the guidance of an experienced IE Black Belt.
What Others are Saying About This Course
At the end of the course, each person submits a final reflection – a mindful review of the experience and what they really took away. Here are but a handful of the most recent.
I cannot succinctly describe what IE has done for me this year, but in a nutshell…
it has fast-tracked me to having high visibility with our board,
it has offered me perspective I may have paid thousands of dollars to a counselor to receive,
it has helped me find a meaningfully unique way to delight our customers,
and it has given me firsthand a swift kick in the pants that reignited my passion for life, exploration, and embracing the unknown to learn from it, not to be scared of it.
It has reminded me of who I am.
Working towards mastery of IE through attaining the Innovation Blackbelt Certification has been quite a journey, and it has fundamentally changed how I approach solving problems and the interactions I have with people along the way.
When I encounter day-to-day problems in my professional or personal life, I tend to think immediately of what IE exercises or sessions I could do to solve them.
Ultimately, I’ve come to realize that I could apply the principles of IE in any facet of my life, perhaps by habit, and believe that to be true to the core spirit.
This training process has changed my life, anyone that knows me I am not a people person, when I told them that I was teaching this IE course at work they can not believe it. I am also surprised myself.
Many of the IE mythologies have become deeply ingrained into my subconscious brain. I look at things/ideas differently now and use the IE tools with out thought.
Before this process I would typically want to be 100% sure of a project before digging into in, I did not want to fail. Now using the fail fast fail cheap or plan do study act mythology gives me confidence to try new things in uncharted territory and even if it fails you have not failed. Rather learn from your mistakes and move on to the next learning cycle.
I believe the skills I have been exposed to through the IE black-belt certification are live skills that I can use thought my future, in industry and my personal dealings.
I feel the need to start my reflection with the caveat that I do not “drink the Kool Aid”. I have been on the receiving end of statements like, “you are one of the most critical people I have worked with” and “why do you always have to play devil’s advocate!?”. In the Myers Briggs world, I am a “bristly” INTJ. My spirit animal is a cactus. If unfamiliar, an INTJ someone who enjoys living in their head space, has a natural feel for strategy, a logical approach to creativity, is infamous for having a hard time expressing himself succinctly and with clarity, and generally rubs people the wrong way without meaning to. For these reasons, INTJ’s aren’t usually the most popular person at the party.
I preface my reflection with the above for the reason that I don’t want this to come off as insincere. I don’t drink the Kool aid. I quietly criticize people who drink the Kool aid and mentally break down why they shouldn’t be so happy about their newfound shiny object. However, I have not been able to stop talking about Innovation Engineering and my time at Eureka Ranch since returning. I regularly have found ways to utilize one of its tools, help out a colleague struggling with an issue by helping frame their problem in terms of the bigger system so that they could approach it differently, and at least weekly, I remind my senior leadership of the phrase “fail fast, fail cheap”. One might say I drank the Kool Aid…however I see a set of tools that came to our organization with the most perfect timing in our history.
My time at the Eureka Ranch was better than good. I haven’t had a day pass where I didn’t think about it. It was exhausting, inspiring, challenging, and full of fresh perspective. The phrase “taking a sip of water from a fire hydrant” was relevant, but it was like every gulp was so refreshing that I didn’t want to stop. There are 3 VP’s and a CEO in my company with a combined experience of well over 100 years. While they recognize the need for change, implementing it is challenging – I’ve noticed it’s like most don’t know where to start, and we find ourselves doing things like brain dumps and making lists of projects that might be a good idea, with no sense of meaningfully uniqueness, death threats, or how to collect feedback and feed the idea through PDSA cycles.”
I have so much more to learn, but my main takeaway is this: from the CEO to the night shift staff, people are thirsty to learn the techniques and systems of Innovation Engineering. After doing a 3 minute mind mapping activity with my VP in a 1 on 1 setting, she was giggling with delight at how creative she felt, and couldn’t wait to have me show the rest of the team. I showed her how that translates into clearly communicating ideas on a yellow card, and then running these ideas through the gauntlet of PDSA. We saw that there was an idea we killed after a year of work and well over $250k in expenses, that we would have killed MUCH sooner had we had a more organized process and a better grasp of estimating first year sales combined with the need for quick revision of our inherent assumptions through cycles PDSA.
We are building a new culture together, and the entire organization is incredibly receptive.
Check out the Q&A below to get the answers to your top of mind questions.
Who is this course for?
This course is great for:
- existing leaders
- developing leaders
- anyone with innovation in their title or responsibility set
- current and aspiring innovators
How long will this course take to complete?
The pre-work done online takes about 1 day. The live Mastery Course lasts 3 days. The remaining 12 months you complete your certification work to get your Black Belt. The good news is – the certification work is about you applying your new skills to your EXISTING WORK. So it’s not a new “to-do” list for you. Instead it’s a more inventive way to get done what you need to get done anyway.
If I finish before 12 months do I lose access to the tools and software?
No, you have access to the full suite of tools and software for 12 months regardless of when, or if, you finish the course and certification.
If I decided to take just the course and later want to get certified can I?
In this course, there is no option for taking the course without the certification. While we’re all about flexibility, some of the work of the course impacts certification.
What topics will I work on in the application assignments?
You can work on anything that’s meaningful to you. Some topics that have been tackled by previous students are: new innovation systems for their team or company, a plan and execution of an upgrade to culture, a complete new pipeline of products for the next 3 years, a new department, process and flow for innovation, taking a business into a new market.
Start Innovating Your new future
Enrollment is now open for the February 4 – 6, 2020 Mastery Course held at our headquarters in Cincinnati. Contact us to get registered or use the button below to register and pay online.